- The Inca did not have a written language. Instead they used Quipus to communicate. Quipus are knotted ropes as seen below
- The Inca used "runners" to pass information from one town to the next. Runners had stations at various location and would carry the quipus while running to the next location. Runners could pass information from one end of the empire to the other.
Inca Road System
- The Inca had a very extensive road system throughout their empire, spanning the western coast of South America.
- They built almost 14,ooo miles of road, only to be used by the government. Common Incas were not allowed to use the roads without permission.
- You can see a map of the Incan road system below.
- The Inca stored food, clothing, and weapons in "storehouses" located on the mountain side near their towns. These supplies were for the military
- You can see these storehouses in the picture to the right and below
- Notice the face in the mountain side as well