- The Mayans are mysterious because when the Europeans arrived off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula they found abandoned Mayan cities. The cities were beautiful and advanced with hieroglyphs, temples, and beautiful artifacts.
- What happened to the ancient Mayan cities is up for debate.
- Nobody knows the real reason that the Mayans abandoned their cities, but many historians and scientists have many theories. A few theories are explained below
- The environment had been so badly damaged through overuse or was not suitable for the amount of people in the Mayan cities.
- War between city-states
- Natural disasters. Drought is common in the area and makes for extremely difficult crop irrigation
- Foreign Invasion
- Revolution by the peasants
What is your theory?
Image is from wikipedia